Thursday, December 28, 2006

The beginning

I was diagnosed with anal cancer on July 26, 2006.

At first, I thought I had a bad 'hemi' and after having a child, it would almost be expected. When it did not go away after being on medication for 2 weeks, I was referred to a surgeon who confirmed a diagnosis of 'squamous cell carcinoma' of the anus.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen. I had cancer in my ass !!! :):):) (one must find humor in it, no?)

I was staged at T2N0M0 which basically means I was a stage 2 with no lymph node involvement nor any mets to any other organs.

I started my treatment September 11th, 2006 (oh the irony of that date) and finished my treatments on the 7th of November of 2006.

My treatments consisted of a chemotherapy cocktail of 5FU/Mitomycin C and 24 days of radiation.

I had no side effects from the chemo but the radiation was such a 'pain in the ass.' :)

I am now considered "NED" (no evidence of disease) and now am just trying to figure out what my new 'normal' life looks like.

No comments: