Saturday, January 31, 2009

Blowing out candles.


Today is a milestone for me.

I came into this world 42 years ago today and it was 3 short years ago that 'Hank' and I became friends.

For anyone of you following this blog, Hank became the name of the tumor growing in my body. It seemed fitting in some weird sort of way.

If he was setting up house inside of me, I thought it best to give him a name so that we could get to know each other and be somewhat more brotherly.

A person told me to 'never' name your tumor. That makes him a part of your life and you should never personalize something alien.

I however, see it differently.

Hank not showing up to the party is a good thing for me and everyone involved in my life.

I woke up this morning happy to blow out the candles for another year and I indeed toasted 'Hank' who has been dormant for quite some time. I was almost ecstatic that he chose to not join my party this year.

The problem with the Hanks of our lives though is that they are somewhat devious. They can come back at anytime to join the party and it is because of this, that I always have to acknowledge his presence and his capability.

After 3 years, I am still NED. (no evidence of disease....)

The golden rule is 5 years and I've made it 3/5 of the way. Can I make it the rest? I will never really be safe in my thinking that my cancer will never come back.

We all die will die of something. Pick your flavor.

I will however, today, blow out my candles and kiss my kids and the love of my life and I'll smile knowing that I made it another year and for that, I am grateful.

Happy Birthday to me.

Hank, thank you for letting me beat you for another year. You suck.

Beady

No comments: