Saturday, January 6, 2007

Who the hell is 'Murphy' anyways?

I've never met Murphy although he seems to know where I live and where I shop.

He knows when I will be somewhere and he seems to always know when to show himself to make me believe in such amazing and crazy-ass circumstances.

Case in point:

1. I am a hard-core biker. (Please insert 200k on awesome Bianchi racing bike and you get the picture...) The absolute worse place to get cancer for me is in MY ASS (thank you very much)
2. When I first found my treatment dates, I made an appointment to have my long, blond, curly hair cut off. There was NO way I was going to find it in piles on my pillow one morning. 20 minutes before my appointment with the buzz-saw I found out I WOULD NOT lose my hair...whew
3. As a female, I curse the monthly visits from Aunt Flo. I don't know how many times I wished I never had another period for as long as I lived. I actually cried when I received a dose of radiation to my ovaries that would forever take them away. It only took 8 seconds to take that dream and ram it into the ground and kill it in an instant. I sucked it up though and got up off of the cold slab of steel with my head high. I put my clothes back on and I hugged my son and I knew I gave up the ability to have another child permanently just so I could hold him temporarily.
4. When a radiation oncologist tells you that your radiation burns will be 'open and painful', they really have no damn idea what they are talking about. My 'wahoo' was burnt to a crisp and the only comfort I got was sitting in a tub for about 10 hours a day. Oh sorry, maybe that really is only 'open and painful.'
5. How many times have you said, "I have no idea where that person gets their strength from?" I have no idea how many times i said it. I was always bewildered with seeing others come up with this inhumane strength to do things and now I know why. THE WILL TO LIVE. It is strong in me as its strong in everyone else. We are all afraid of dying. Why wouldn't we be? We all have lives and at least ONE person who would be sad if we died tomorrow. All of our lives have a purpose here. When you are presented with the prize behind door #4 and its death, damn rights we wanna live.
6. We all think we have it so bad. Nope, you don't. There is always someone out there with a better 'hard-luck' story than the book that you're carrying. Get over it.

I'll add more to this FOR SURE......

No comments: