Thursday, March 6, 2008

Dirty Dancing with Pancreatic cancer

Today, I learned that Patrick Swayze has pancreatic cancer.

The article stated that he has 'little' disease present when diagnosed. WTF is this?

One of the 'gifts' of having cancer is a knowledge about other cancers. We always look for ones that are way worse than the ones that we have.

Pancreatic cancer is a silent killer who does not make itself known until it is too late. The 5 year survival rate is less than 5% and almost 60% of cases are diagnosed AFTER the cancer has mestastised to distant organs.

Bullshit, he has a little bit of 'disease'.

The national enquirer (being the upscale NEWSpaper that is is states that he has less than 2 months to live. Fact or fiction?)

I'm going to go with the fact card, Jim.

I have personally talked to a few people with newly-diagnosed pancreatic cancer and within 3 months, ALL 3 were pushing up daisies.

Why sugar-coat what he has and just let everyone know that 'uh oh', this ain't gonna turn out very well?

Pancreatic cancer very rarely responds to even the most aggressive of chemotherapy drugs and the death is fast and very painful.

We all need to be a little more honest with each other concerning some facets of this insidiuous disease.

The second question to ponder is how in the hell did the national enquirer even find out about his cancer?

I'm guessing some self-serving oncology nurse got a mitt-full of dough to tell the world of Patrick's fight for his life.

Whatever is this world coming to when we can't even have our own deaths to ourselves?

I could not imagine having cameras present while my a-hole is getting radiated to a freaking crisp?

Have we no morals or empathy or others anymore?

I really like Patrick Swayze and I wish him nothing but the best in the fight that he is starting to fight right now at such a young age. (55 I believe)

I sincerely hope that he defies the odds and ends up in the 4% of stats that he makes it to 5 years.

Realistically though, I can't see it happening.

No comments: