Friday, March 7, 2008

Indecent disclosure?

I have a job interview Monday afternoon.

The job is part-time which suits me perfectly considering all of the animals and 'shit' in life that I have to look after.

I did however notice an almost 2 year 'gap' in my resume dating pretty much back to when I started cancer treatment to just about now.

To date, I have done only contract work from home as well as looking after Fred's company and tending to the animals.

Right now, I need to do something more.

So, I sent out a few resumes to a few job postings and have 4 interviews already set up for next week.

Is it palliative care to which I 'partaked of the juices' a few months ago?

NOPE.

It is doing basic accounting for a few companies as I'm pretty damn good with this sort of thing. I have developed an incredible ability to deal with companies and numbers after having dealt with Freddy's company for awhile :)

My resume is exemplary. I have worked both with NASA and the secret service. I have no criminal record and am 5 courses short of a masters degree. I DO NOT walk and blow bubbles.

Hmmm...how to explain the 2 year gap?

Do I come right out and shoot straight and say, "Yup, I didn't work for 2 years as I went through a year of cancer treatment and saw the light at the end of the tunnel and I survived anal cancer?"

How do you explain a yearning from working with a BSc in computer sciences and being state-side 3 weeks a year to only wanting to work outside of the house for a bit of spending money?

"Can you multi-task?" Hmmm...I coordinated myself having daily radiation treatments while coaching soccer as well as tending to 'life' with a 12 year old as well as an 8 month old baby. Does that not give me the right to say, "Yes", I can multi-task?

"How are you with dealines?" Hmm...I finished up my cancer treatments as fast as I could as I still wanted to coach competitive soccer. I also picked up my daughter from school at 3 as I had my radiation appts. at 4 so she could be a part of it and not feel so scared.

"What situation would you speak of that spoke volumes about the type of person that you were?"

Hmmm...Well, I remember a time on Halloween night and Brianne was 10 and Dane was what would be considered 'fresh.'

I'd just finished my 19th radiation treatment and I was so sore with 3rd degree burns and I dressed up Brianne as a witch and Dane became a dinosaur and I brought them both in with me to have my daily dose.

The nurses were all laughing at how the kids were dressed and I dragged my 'almost' done ass into the room once again and I left and I took the two most important people in my life out 'trick or treating'.

Dane was in his stroller and Brianne saw how weak I actually was but I kept on going till both kids had 2 pillow-cases of 'goods' to take home.

Does one disclose how we became who we are in the circumstances?

Does having lived through cancer and see the other side make us an asset or a liability in the views of a potential employer?

We shall see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck tomorrow....

I'm remembering your mid-treatment interview where you had a cancer survivor who lent you an understanding ear.

Use the force....nanu, nanu, and all that shit.