Monday, December 22, 2008

Dancing with time.

The most profound experience with having had cancer is knowing that you are on borrowed time.

We all have to die at some point or another but most of us only dream of going quickly and not having to endure pain. We cannot fathom death peeking over the horizon gently calling our name.

I consider my diagnosis so special to me in so many ways.

I go to sleep at night hoping that I did all that I could today. Did I kiss my kids? Did I kiss my hubby? Did I do everything I could to make them see how much I genuinely love them, from the bottom of my soul?

In so many ways, we dance with cancer, very intimately and loving.

We endure toxic drugs to pay for the price of seeing our kids grow up.

We endure radiation doses high enough to cause 3rd degree burns and effects lasting decades from treatments.

The survivor does this to get another day, another year or even another lifetime to buy some time to dance some more. We all love to dance.

Our world is so fixated on money and labels and making sure that 'we' are looked after that we forget sometimes about others.

The human hearts grows by giving to others and it flourished under ideal conditions of compassion and optimism and looking at the glass as half full and not empty.

Life needs to be embraced each day to the fullest. Do what makes you feel good. Give someone a coffee. Make someone smile.

If you make someone smile, I can guarantee that you will smile as well.

My mantra is now, "If it matters a year from now, worry about it. " Most of the stuff that clogs our minds isn't gonna matter one bit a year from now.

Your clean kitchen tonight isn't gonna matter next week nor is the load of laundry sitting on the washer.

A hug to your baby will matter though. Even a hug with a kiss. Read the book you always wanted but never claimed the time. Try the blond in your hair that you never had the guts to try. JUST DO IT.

We sometimes forget that life is incredibly short and most times, you don't get the 2nd chance like you do being diagnosed with cancer.

I will never take my life for granted again. It means way too much to me to be able to dance. I need to dance for quite awhile still in fact.

We forget sometimes that life is really all just a glorious dance.

No comments: