Sunday, December 21, 2008

Second chances


Growing up, I brought every stray dog home that I found in the streets on my way home from school.

I always made sure I found them their homes and it brought peace to my soul and a contentment in my heart to do right by all animals big and small.

People who know me would describe be as an animal 'freak.'

A few years ago, I decided to make a difference in the lives of our furry friends and I started doing foster and rescue work for various local agencies.

A dog rescued from a drug-house who found his way into mine attacked me with such ferocity that I realized I couldn't expose my son to the potentials of my hobby and I let my hobby go for awhile.

About a month ago, I decided that I still could make a difference and I could pick and choose my battles.

I have taken on the task of finding homes for dogs no longer wanted by their owners on CraigsList.

My in box gets filled with people looking to re home their dogs and people looking to find a forever pet to bring into their lives and their homes and just love it.

To date, I have re homed 89 dogs and I'm strangely proud of that fact. I am glad that my kids can see what a wonderful gift it is to help give an animal peace and protection.

These 'strangers' come into my home and my heart and the lives of my family and its a transition of sorts for them.

They sleep on blankets in the kitchen with other pets and they start to come alive again and find hope where maybe they didn't see it before in their past.

I drove 2 hours to pick up Rambo, a crazy Lhasa Apso who tonight is frolicking in the snow with his new 61 year old owner. He will never be alone.

Maggie found a new life at a dog-groomer's house and the last picture I received was of her being hugged in front of a fireplace by a 7 year old girl.

Tonight, my house is empty of hard-luck stories. I have solved them all for today.

Tomorrow might find me again trudging through snow, to bring another dog home needing a new story to tell only this time, a great story with a happy ending. The best of stories to tell.

We all should have a cause of our own. A cause that makes us sleep more sound at night.

A cause which causes our chests to expand when we speak of it. A glorious cause where a difference can be made.

I will sleep great tonight knowing that I did a good thing today. I made a difference in the life of an animal.

He cannot say thank you. He will never write me a note nor will he tell friends of my act.

I will however, receive pictures of happiness from my new friends whose lives I've made a difference in and that strangely, is more than enough thanks.

No comments: