Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Does Santa Claus exist?

I remember as a child getting so excited about the magical time of Christmas and hearing stories about the season full of gifts and good memories.

Children learn about Santa and the season of giving and yet somewhere along the way, they grow up and they forget.

They forget that Santa watches them and makes them be good.

They forget how excited they became and how hopeful they were back then.

They stopped believing in the spirit of Christmas and they became less naive about the world and the goodness in it. Instead they became narrow-minded, less forgiving and the sky no longer blue.

All this because they stopped to believe.

They become adults and think Christmas as a time to part with money and then tick off the 'list' they have to get done in a flurry 'cause there is never enough time. Is there ever enough time?

Santa does exist though in the minds of us all and especially our hearts.

I tell my son this each night at this time of the year and this time cause he's asking.

"Is Santa real?"

"You bet darling.", I answer believing it to the bottom of my heart. "He really does exist."

I've seen frail, old men getting chemo so that they can buy just enough time to again see the light in the eyes of a grand-child. All they want is more time. They believe in Santa. They have to believe in Santa.

I too believed in Santa enough to finish up my chemo and be there for my kids. I never would have done it if it wasn't for Santa.

We see more compassion in others around Christmas and we see hope.

The stories of the families getting help when they need it and the belief we can provide in the spirit of the season.

How can anyone say that he doesn't exist?

Our earliest memories of Santa lay the ground-work for a belief in something you will never see nor ever touch. He magically comes at night and we believe the evidence at foot.

Faith arises by believing in something one cannot see.

So does hope.

"Yes, my little son. There does exist a man named Santa and he's coming very soon and he loves you immensely".

"He will bring you many gifts" and you'll grow up having faith and hope and really that is all I ever wanted for you anyways.

Thanks Santa

No comments: